5 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
1 white onion
7 garlic cloves
1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
1 cubanello pepper, thinly sliced
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt Pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup crema or sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled feta or cortija
Warm tortillas or toast
- Set the oven to broil. Cut the white onion in half. Reserve one half and quarter the other half. Place the quartered onion, jalapeno*, tomatillos, 5 garlic cloves in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of oil. Broil until tomatillos are charred and very tender, about 5 minutes. Shake the pan half way through cook time.
- Place the broiled vegetables in a blender. Blend until smooth, about 5 seconds.
- Thinly slice the remaining garlic cloves and onion. Place in the cast iron pan over medium heat with remaining oil. Cook until translucent and fragrant. Add in the peppers and cumin and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, pour in the tomatillo mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Crack 6 eggs, about 2 inches apart from each other into the green sauce. Do not stir or disturb the pan while the eggs are cooking. Cover the pan with the lid and let cook until the white of the eggs are opaque, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish shakshuka with cilantro, feta, and drizzle with crema. Enjoy with warm tortillas or toast.
*if you prefer a more mild flavour, remove jalapeño seeds and discard before blending.