Recipe: Cornbread with fried egg and n'duja
Cornbread with fried egg and n'duja
1 cup instant cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
4 whole eggs
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon) butter
3 tablespoons sour cream
3 teaspoons kosher salt
½ cup smoked gouda (grated)
½ cup Monterey jack cheddar (grated)
¼ cup raw jalapeno (diced)
¼ cup pickled jalapeno (diced)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup ‘nduja – storebought spreadable fermented sausage
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat your oven 190ºC (375ºF); Grease cast iron with room temperature butter. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and sugar until combined. Add buttermilk, sour cream, baking powder, baking soda, whisk to combine. Add flour, cornmeal, jalapenos, both cheeses, salt, and frozen grated butter. Do not over mix your cornbread.
2. Pour batter into prepared cast iron, bake for 40 mins until golden brown on top, use a cake tester to test the center of the corn bread. A toothpick should come out clean. Let the cornbread cool for 5 minutes. Cut cornbread into ¼ wedges, cut 4 slice wedges out ¼. Reserve the rest of the cornbread for other meal occasions.
3. Wipe cast iron clean, heat cast iron over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of
butter, melt and then toast cornbread wedges on both side 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and place on serving plates.
4. Add all the ‘nduja to cast iron, turn up to medium high heat, using a wooden spoon stir the 'nduja allowing into render and warm through. Once warm and spreadable, remove and spread evenly onto corn bread wedges.
5. Add 1 tablespoon butter to warm cast iron, allowing butter to melt and bubble with rendered ‘nduja fat. Once butter is bubbly, crack all 4 eggs into different areas of the pan, on medium heat, cook eggs sunny side up until egg whites are firm and cooked. Using a spatula, cut eggs into 4 even slices. Place a sunny side up egg on top of ‘nduja, season eggs with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.